Car break-ins are noticeably down in the wake of a new crackdown in San Francisco's most popular tourist hotspots, according to new numbers.
From Sept. 1 to Nov. 26, people reported 3,399 car break-ins, according to stats from the city's police department. Compared to the 6,703 reported last year in the same time frame, that's down by nearly half.
City leaders said the drop is due, in part, to the targeted car burglary operation police Chief Bill Scott and District Attorney Brooke Jenkins announced in August.
Bait cars and plainclothes officers have been on high alert at Fisherman's Wharf, the Palace of Fine Arts and Alamo Square.
Residents said they are worried that as car burglaries start getting pushed out of high visibility areas, the criminals are going to start targeting the neighborhoods that surround them.